myworldinwordsandpages

myworldinwordsandpages

Book Review: Shadows on Snow

Shadows on Snow: A Flipped Fairy Tale (Flipped Fairy Tales) - Starla Huchton, Jennifer Melzer

Rae has been doing her part in protecting the royalty in the kingdom of Bern. Watching to make sure they don't fall victim as others have, to a cruel, evil man. Then one day she meets the Prince Leo. There is magic there that Rae is not ready to face. But Rae will do what she must to protect Prince Leo when his mother falls ill and he is shunned from the city. On the run, Rae faces a past she had buried deep inside her and comes to realize some things are worth the risk.

Godmothers, witches, magic, princes, and love. All with a feel of a lesson learned in the end through the trials and tribulations to get there. The heartache is worth it in the end as it's how Rae learns her hearts desire.

Starla amazes me with her story telling and stories she writes. She has different voice in this story as in any of her other series. Feels old with a blend of fey to it. I like it.

It's AMAZING how Starla has taken an old tale and twisted it around to make something new and fresh with a magical underlining to the world. She takes the basic tale of Snow White and not only flips the genders but also crafts a world and story all of it's own here.

I was stunned at the turn-table of the Snow White tale, gender flipped. The Prince is a fine respected commander of his army but when someone of power wants to turn people against him, it is done. He's not a weak man at all. That's what I enjoyed about him in this tale. So easily he could have been down played, but he wasn't. Rae is an interesting character. There is a whole history we don't know and guess at in the beginning, but when it comes out...WOW. It all falls into place then. Even the evil man we learn to hate is crafted here to the point that I was nervous for Rae on several occasions.

This is a story for those of any age, parents or young adults (over 13). It captivates you and draws you into the world with ease.

Love the twists you made to the story. I love the way Starla turned this tale around and had a great story in it. Well done.

This is a series WELL worth reading.