myworldinwordsandpages

myworldinwordsandpages

Audio Book Review: Ancient Magic

Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress) (Volume 1) - Linsey Hall

*This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of AudiobookBoom dot com, at my request.

Cass and her sisters, Nix and Del, woke in a field not remembering anything, for when they try the feel pain, other than they are FireSouls and have Magica powers. They are running from an evil someone.

Ten years later, the three sisters have settled in Magic's Bend. They have their shop, Ancient Magic, where they sell duplicates of artifacts with the magic transferred to it. Cass is known as one of the best hunters of treasures, which is how they get their stock for their shop, and Aidan Merrick comes to ask her to do a job for him, and a date now that he's met her. The item to find, the Scroll of Truth, which sounds familiar to Cass but sparks pain when she tries to remember about it. Learning about this scroll, she finds that it possesses her and her sisters dark secret and must destroy it before anyone reads it.

I've listened to Laurel once before. She has a young feel to her that fits the characters. Aidan has an Irish accent, and Laurel does that with a slightly lower tone to be male. Even when coming across other beings and characters, Laurel adds to her voice to make them sound slightly different. But most of all, I like the way Laurel sounds relaxed as she speaks and also brings a calm feel to Cass. Though when Cass is nervous we get that feel in Laurel's voice as well.

I liked diving into this new world. There is magic of all kinds here, and there's a system to it. FireSouls are those that kill to steal magic from magica, and also have a part of a dragon's soul in them. Which shows in the way they hoard items, what they feel are treasures. The girls don't feel as though they are FireSouls yet they have the signs of it. They don't remember how they got their powers but life as good people getting by each day.

The job for Aidan takes Cass to Ireland, the place the person she and her sisters are running from, could be living still. We don't run into the man they are running from directly, but we do see there is something more with their past, though we (and they) don't know what that past is, yet. I love the introduction of the world and characters here. We meet them and adventure with them, and I've become curious of all their secrets.

Cass was a believable character for me. She knows she and her sisters have to be careful and not let their secret out, but she's human too. She has feelings and they cloud the best of intentions, even on the inside, which makes some decisions for Cass harder than usual. I love that Cass loves food. And Aidan knows the way to her heart, food. Aidan is the perfect gentleman. He says the right things and he lets Cass know he's interested in dating her, throughout the story. At times Aidan even made butterflies in my stomach.

Aidan is a special person in the supernatural world. Oh wait until you see him do his magic! Neat what we see. (I don't want to tell you as it's cool to see.) From first meeting, Aidan has asked Cass out on a date. But she's resisted, though she does find him attractive. And that attraction grows as the story goes, even for me.

I really enjoyed this story, it was fun and relaxing for me. I look forward to more books with these characters and their secrets.