myworldinwordsandpages

myworldinwordsandpages

Audio Book Review: The Cupcake Witch

The Cupcake Witch (The Chancellor Fairy Tales Book 2) - Poppy Lawless

*This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of AudiobookBoom dot com, at my request.

Julie's dad inherited a little cottage, that Julie thinks looks like a witches cottage, in Chancellor. Julie should be heading back to college, but can't bring herself to do so as it's a degree her recently deceased mother wanted her to take. Julie wants to bake. Her dad mentions that Chancellor college has a culinary program. When Julie enters the run down shop and home, Serendipity Gardens, to put it up for sale, she falls in love with the style of the house, and the kitchen. She's found the place she wants to be but another wants the spot for his own use. Mr. Hunter has sent his son on the mission to purchase the property. Horatio finds more than he expected when he meets Julie.

This is the first time I've listened to Hollie. She does well of voicing Julie and her pain, and a different tone for her father. Hollie makes all her characters individual. Horatio sounds like a man with a shorter feel to his words and his sister, Viola, has a softer sound. Something I noticed as well, I like that I can't hear her breathing between words. The story is told with a seamless flow and easy to listen to.

I had to smile at how Julie and Horatio meet. Innocent yet clumsy. Julie doesn't know it, but her boldness to live life as she wants inspires Horatio do the same. They are both not the person that one of their parents is making them be. They both share in this struggle in their lives. They also share that each have lost a parent to cancer. Though they are still hurting from the lose it's not the complete focus of the story, and I love that. They are working to keep going forward as they remember.

We have a few characters that join us in helping them find their selves and connecting Horatio and Julie. Viola, Horatio's sister, is a lovely person. She sees what Horatio is wonderful at, organizing events, and she has great advice for her brother. Viola is so right! But they are suppose to follow the family business. And Horatio realizes it's not what he wants to do. Horatio's dad, Aaron Hunter, is a business jerk. It's all about what he wants and now.

The three ladies that were dear friends with Mrs. Aster are a delight! They have the knowing way about them. Reminds me of the good witches. lol. They adopt Julie when they meet and learn who she is. Then, Julie learns who they are. Oh this is so sweet!

I adored the movie Simply Irresistible with the delicious food and spark of love with the magic in the food. This book fills that same spot in my heart, not for the stories being similar but for the magic in the food and love. Blended with the Good Witch who finds a new home that accepts her and her apothecary ways.

Such a sweet story that I enjoyed. I enjoyed how the writing flowed with the characters. This feels like a lovely series to enjoy as people find themselves and each other, friends or more.